We wish you a wonderful 2016. May the year of the “monkey” play it your way. Good luck.
All the best, The ANPA Team
Kalk Bay Community Church (KBCC), 180 Main Road, Kalk Bay
KBCC is an evangelical non-denominational church. The beautiful church building was built in 1923 and is on the premises of The Bible Institute of South Africa, 180 Main Road Kalk Bay. However, our fellowship in Christ is more important than a building. The Kalk Bay Community Church has a special relationship with the Bible Institute and is thankful for counsel and help in the past. BI students form part of our community of believers and take an active part in the life of the church. KBCC aims to provide a place of fellowship and worship for believers living in and around Kalk Bay, but also to be a missional church where every member is involved to live and tell the good news of Jesus to those around us and to the ends of the earth.
Sunday Service: Starts at 0930hrs
Bible Study: Wednesday Evenings from 1830hrs – at the Church
Pastor: Willem Conradie – Tel: +27 (0)21 785 1882; Mobile: +27 (0)82 961 2874; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Elder: Daniel Simango – Mobile: +27 (0)83 699 7497
Everyone is most welcome.
15. March -> Southern Right Whales playing close to the tidal pool in St James. What a sight!! Wonderful!!
REHABILITATION OF MAIN ROAD PHASE 2
Dear Interested and Affected Party
Please be advised that there will be temporary stop/ go and temporary deviation sections on the Main Road between Dalebrook and Clairvaux Roads starting on Monday 3 February.
As you were advised towards the end of last year, the new 700mm diameter water main is required to pass a test whereby it is pumped up to a pressure of 18 bar and holds this pressure for a minimum of one hour without leaks. Although coming very close to passing, it was unfortunately not possible to meet the test requirement due to what is suspected to be a relatively minor leak. It will therefore be necessary to re-open each hole to identify and rectify the fault.
It is planned to open up one hole a day excluding Fridays and it is hoped to complete this operation, including re-surfacing all the patched areas, by 21 February.
This will be followed by the cross-over from the old water main to the new in the last week of February where a stop/go will be required for one or two days at the main valve chamber opposite the Bible Institute.
The final operation will be to convert part of the old water main between Clairvaux Road and the harbour entrance into a storm water pipe. This will involve working in three manholes which have been constructed over the old water main. This work will be done in the first week of March.
To minimise disruption to traffic, every effort will be made to keep the half-width sections as short as possible. The work will be done between the hours of 07:00 and 16:00.
The project team once again apologises for any inconvenience caused.
Get all the information on this great iniative.
kalk bay, st james special rates area document ready for download.
Enclosed Chand’s newsletter May 2013
THE GALLERY is an exhibition gallery situated in a prime section of vibrant Kalk Bay, with plenty of walk in clientele all week, all year round. It offers exhibition space available for weekly, fortnightly or monthly hire.
| Originally a sewage pump-station and part of the Drainage and Sewerage Scheme undertaken by the Kalk Bay Municipality.This building (1906) has maintained its outer facade. Decommissioned in 1935 it had a variety of occupants after the machinery had been removed, and new floors and windows had been installed. Its many functions included an entertainment and dance centre during the 2nd World War, a Municipal Library and a Council Cash Office.
It was renovated in October 1994 under the City Council Architect Mr Croome, after a substantial donation was received from the Kaplan Kushlik Trust. Two Kalk Bay Municipal lamp posts with the original Coat of Arms grace the entrance.
| was one of the earliest homes in Kalk Bay. (circa 1820). Built of local stone from the Kalk Bay mountains, and lime from the Kalk Bay kilns.
Originally called “Beaufort Villa”. It was the seaside home in the early 1880s of Sir John Molteno, the first Premier of the Cape Colony after Responsible Government had been granted by the English Parliament to the Cape in 1872
Sir John Charles Molteno KCMG (5 June 1814 – 1 September 1886) was a politician, British administrator and first prime minister of the Cape Colony, from 1872 to 1878.
Born in London, Molteno emigrated to the Cape Colony in 1831 and settled in Cape Town, where he became an assistant to the public librarian. He bought Claremont house in in 1841 and fought in the Amatola War in 1846.
Molteno was elected as member of the Cape Colony’s legislative assembly for Beaufort West in 1854. He was appointed as the Cape Colony’s first prime minister in 1872, but was dismissed by the Governor of the Cape Colony, Sir Henry Bartle Frere, on 3 February 1878.
He was married three times and had a total of nineteen children.
Molteno died on 1 September 1886 and was interred at St Saviour’s, Claremont, Cape Town.
The town of Molteno was named after him.
|The Holy Trinity Church|
| Built by John Gainsford in 1873 from local sandstone from the Kalk Bay mountains to the design of architect Henry Woodyear of London.
|Of all the towns and villages in South Africa there must be very few, if any, who have a more interesting and fascinating history than Kalk Bay. Its modern day history started when the Dutch East India Company proclaimed Simon’s Bay a winter anchorage for their ships from May 15th to August 15th each year from 1742.The difficulty of getting supplies to these ships in Simon’s Bay and the building of the town of Simon’s Town was severely hampered by the inadequacy of a proper road especialy at Clovelly and Sunny Cove where the moutain reached the sea and the quicksands of Fish Hoek and Glencairn halted oxen transport. Kalk Bay became a mini-port for the Dutch and all victualling requirements as well as anchors, masts, sails, etc, were sent by ox-wagon to Kalk Bay and thereafter loaded onto barges which took the goods over to the ships in the bay as well as construction materials needed for the building of Simon’s Town. Returning ox-wagons took lime (kalk) and fish, the staple diet of slaves, back to Cape Town.